Herman & Kittle Properties, Inc. (HKP) is the successor to companies that have been around since 1948, and has developed and managed multi-family homes for over 60 years. We develop, build, manage and own multi-family rental housing and self-storage facilities. HKP has developed and managed properties in 15 states, including high-quality apartment complexes and self-storage facilities throughout the South and the Midwest. We currently manage a portfolio of over 13,000 apartment homes and over 6,000 self-storage units.
Provides leadership for interior and sustainable design issues as part of a vertically integrated firm that include includes development, design, construction, and property management functions. This position will work with internal staff and external vendors for those areas on a regular basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Sustainable Design
- Work with Development on applications where green checklist is required
- Leads preconstruction charrettes with all subcontract, design and HKP construction staff
- Locate and contract with local green rater 3 months prior to construction start for all green certified projects
- Creates green application, submits and monitors throughout construction
- Answers subcontractor/ vendor questions on whether certain products are “green certified”
- Obtains final certification from green rater and appropriate agency as required
- Responds to RFIs and Submittals applicable to sustainability
- Interior Design
- Work with Development and Property Management teams to ensure interior design meets development commitments and market demands
- Serves as Design’s liaison with Property Management personnel
- Work with internal and external architectural firms to ensure interior design components meet functional needs of residents
- Sketch preliminary interior design plans of apartment and leasing office and/or review external design plans for feedback
- Specify apartment interior materials, such as lighting, wall finishes, flooring, cabinets/countertops, and plumbing fixtures, based on national contracts and update as needed
- Specify Leasing Office finishes including lighting, wall finishes, flooring, cabinets/ countertops and plumbing fixtures, based on national contracts and update as needed.
- Also, choosing vendors and procuring all FFE items for Leasing Office interiors including desks, chairs, lounge furniture, fitness equipment, community room tables/ chairs, game room items, wellness room equipment and other areas as specified by Development and provide onsite installation oversight of these items
- Responds to RFIs and Submittals applicable to interior design
- Incorporate timeline for interior design into overall project schedule, work with estimation to develop appropriate budget, and obtain feedback from purchasing to improve future activities
- Some travel required (about 2 to 3 days per month) to visit for installation of equipment and fixtures.
- Provides support for estimating/budgeting role as capacity needs demand/fluctuate within the Design department
- Provides support for RFP and contract negotiation with architectural, mechanical, structural, and civil firms
- Supports other design functions of department as needed/applicable.
- 4-year degree required
- Preferably in interior design or architecture
- Applicable certifications preferred (e.g. National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ), LEED AP, LEED Green Associate, (Master) Certified Green Professional, etc.)
- 3 years’ experience required
- Experience with multi-family real estate preferred
- Ability to use Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint required
- Experience with design software tools preferred (e.g. AutoCAD 2015)
- Language skills – ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or government regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Math skills – ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical solutions.
- Reasoning ability – ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To apply visit: www.hermankittle.com/careers or use the following link: https://rew12.ultipro.com/HER1007/jobboard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__JobID=730